Garage door tracks house and guide the rollers, which facilitate smooth travel of the garage door.
Garage Door Track Repair and Replacement
Garage door track repair or replacement is necessary commonly because of malfunction on another door part. The list leads off with this type, and proceeds from there:
- Broken cable and/or cable drum connection. When this happens, and one attempts to close the door, the door will bend sideways and bend/breaking the track.
- Rollers displacement may crop up as a clue pointing to tracks. This results from a lack of lubrication on roller stems. Failure to lubricate these rollers leads to inflexibility, and a bending of the portion of horizontal track, with a repair shortly to follow .
- Lock strikers can cause significant scraping on the vertical track, and eventually can lead to a split in the track.
- Decayed jamb or footings.
- Rust which follows (especially in florida), or other corrosive industrial chemicals present leads to compromise of the galvanization on the track, and a needed replacement. Natural deterioration results from varied sources based on geographic location. Coastal areas, for example, see more corrosion from a breezy maritime environment.
- Commercial plant accidents often involving heavy equipment such as forklifts. The hazards of this account for the protective yellow posts often placed near each garage door in a warehouse or plant–to minimize repair bills. Still, sometimes upper vertical lift tracks see damage. Replacement becomes warranted with these types of accidents.
- Trucks slamming into the dock, or other building hits, often prove debilitating to tracks.
- Metal fatigue in the horizontal track itself. This arises from repeated door weight put on the track.
- Normal shifting of the foundation and construction materials, and hence, door parts, over time.
Vertical track repairs
Tracks bent out of shape–frequently seen, and undesirable in a warehouse. Rectifying tracks from this condition will allow the rollers to again move smoothly. If applicable, the root cause of vertical track malfunction needs addressing. Repair then proceeds by placing a large screwdriver behind the bent part of the track. With one foot on the bottom area of the vertical track (with the door open), pulling in toward the center of the garage door opening straightens the track. If the door sustains damage while partially open, and the curved part of a vertical track bends over, repair takes place often with a hammer, or monkey wrench/adjustable wrench. Severe damage signals replacement.
In some cases, the vertical track and flag bracket may in fact be holding the header up. This occurs when the jamb’s footing rots out and needs to be replaced. A car’s jack and two 2x4s come in handy here. The header lifts readily with the jack to allow replacement of the insufficient footing, and the vertical jambs as well.
Track replacement will likely take place in commercial cases where trucks have collided with the exterior concrete of a building, resulting in loosened jambs. This jolting leads to compromise of the steel channels and welding on the tracks.
If the track problems result from structural shifting and concomitant misalignment, track reinstallation to get the spacing correct will become necessary. Oftentimes, this type of repair will arise due to the original track installation being too tight or too loose, leading again to untimely dislocation of the rollers.
Horizontal track repairs
With a large commercial door track or vertical lift system with bent horizontal tracks, technicians employ a “come-along” (or possibly two) to pull the affected portion of the track toward the center to alignment.
The bolt holding the rear of the horizontal track can sometimes become loose. Opening the door triggers the track’s decline. With the door weight transferred to the horizontal track, this pulls the track down and bends the track radius as well, necessitating replacement of the horizontal track.
Everything you are need to your Garage Door repair in Naples florida, Marco Island, Bonita spring, Estero, Fort Myers and Cape coral you can call as to Fix your garage doors